Roots & River 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
Enrollment for the 2017-2018 is full!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our waitlist.
Julie Skaarup and I are delighted to invite you on a soul’s journey. Time and time again we have come to experience that yoga is a gateway to depth and meaning. Each time we show up in our practice, we receive a gentle reminder of our True Nature – the constant within, even amidst all that may be changing around us. We welcome you to join us in this transformative experience of deepening knowledge, of inner breakthroughs, and of studying the self in wholeness. Honoring the diverse nature of our lives and schedules, we have created a life-friendly program that will meet one full weekend a month, spread over 9 months - beginning in November 2017 and running through July 2018.
The Roots & River 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) is a thoughtfully designed program that promotes and preserves the ancient wisdom and traditions of yoga while honoring and cultivating the individual journey of the modern yogi. Through a scientifically grounded and spiritually relevant East meets West approach, participants will explore:
- Yoga Asana - Postures and Sequencing
- Yoga History and Philosophy
- Pranayama –Breath work
- 5 Element Chinese Meridian Theory
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Neuroscience and Trauma Informed Approaches to Teaching
- Chakras and Energetics
- Mythology and Storytelling
- Intro to Teaching in Specialized Groups (yoga utilizing chairs, prenatal yoga, kids yoga)
- Business of Yoga
This blend of perspectives has helped us create a program that is in tune with both the natural and built world around us and the world of the psyche within.
The Roots and River 200 Hour YTT curriculum meets and exceeds the requirements for yoga teacher registration with the Yoga Alliance. The learning environment includes lecture, on-the-mat practices, hands-on teaching experience, group discussion, and interactive activities.
Although several yoga modalities will be explored, the overarching emphasis is on learning to lead well-rounded beginner/gentle classes, dynamic Vinyasa Flow, and Yin Yoga asana practices.
Honoring the complexity of family and work lives, we have designed this training to extend over 9 months with 10 weekend training sessions meeting one weekend a month (Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays through the day - exact times to be announced soon). This YTT program will also include one weekend-long sleep-away retreat near Brunswick where participants can practice, study, play, rest, and deepen life-long friendships.
This 200 Hour YTT is for:
- Those who plan to become certified yoga teachers, eligible to register with Yoga Alliance, and who want a broad knowledge base of tradition and science to inform their teaching;
- Dedicated students who wish to deepen their personal practice and enter an inner quest of self;
- Clinicians who want to incorporate yoga, meditation, spirituality, lifestyle practices, or breathwork into their practice.
The Roots & River 200 Hour YTT Begins November 2017
Our program has a life-friendly schedule with weekend sessions once per month plus one weekend offsite retreat. We are fine tuning the Saturday/Sunday hour schedule but classes will meet Fridays 6:00 - 8:30 PM, Saturdays 9:00am-5:15pm, Sundays 9:00am-5:15pm. Saturdays and Sundays will have a hour long lunch break from approximately 12-1pm.
- Weekend 1 Nov 3-5, 2017
- Weekend 2 Dec 1-3, 2017
- Weekend 3 Jan 5-7, 2018
- Weekend 4 Feb. 2-4, 2018
- Weekend 5 March 2-4, 2018
- Weekend 6 April 6-8, 2018
- Weekend 7 May 4-6, 2018
- Weekend 8 June 1-3, 2018 - Retreat
- Weekend 9 June 29- July 1, 2018
- Weekend 10 July 27-29, 2018 - Graduation
- In order to get the most from the program, we require that all participants have at least one year of consistent yoga practice experience.
- If you do not regularly practice at Roots & River Yoga or do not have experience practicing yoga with Julie Skaarup or Machelle Lee, you will be asked to attend a class with at least one of them as part of your application process. This is to ensure you feel this program is a good fit for you and for us to get to know you.
- Once admitted, you must commit to attend the program sessions and complete all reading/reflections homework assignments. If there are attendance conflicts, please let us know so we can make suitable make-up arrangements together.
Acceptance and Yoga Alliance Registration
- Please submit the completed application form (embedded at the bottom of this page) and a $300 deposit in order to reserve your place in the 2017-18 Roots & River 200 hour YTT program. Your deposit will be applied towards your tuition upon acceptance. If for some reason you decide to withdraw from the program once you have been accepted, your deposit, less a $65.00 administrative fee, will be returned to you.
- $300 Deposits can be submitted by check made out to Roots & River Yoga or can be paid by credit or debit card in person or online.
The Roots & River Yoga 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training is an investment in a form of higher, and deepening, education. We look forward to guiding and sharing this journey with you.
Early Bird Tuition - $2500 (less the $300 deposit) if registered and paid before or on September 21, 2017 (payment link will be give to accepted applicants).
Regular Tuition - $2800 (less the $300 deposit) if registered and paid after September 21, 2017 (payment link will be give to accepted applicants). Tuition is due in full by October 31, 2017 unless utilizing the monthly payment plan.
Flexible Monthly Payment Plan - If covering tuition in full before the training begins is not possible, we have an auto-pay option that divides the $2800 into monthly installments over the duration of the training - additional fees apply (payment link will be give to accepted applicants).
- $300 deposit due with application
- $150 set up fee to cover what the studio gets charged for each auto-transaction over the 10 months and administrative work. This will be folded into your monthly charge over the payment period
- 10 monthly installments of $265 on credit or debit card
- $2800-$300 deposit+$150 auto-transition admin fees=$2650. $2650 divided by 10 monthly payments=$265
- Monthly Payments will begin October 15, 2017
- Please email Machelle@RootsAndRiverYoga.com if you wish to set up the monthly payment plan
Deposit - There is a $300 deposit to be submitted with your application to hold your space. If you are accepted into the training, the deposit is applied towards tuition. If you are confirmed into the program and then decide to withdraw, your deposit will be returned less a $65 administrative fee.
Additional Tuition information
- Tuition includes the learning binder, 30 training days at Roots & River Yoga studio, and room/board/training for the 3 days/ 2 nights off-site weekend retreat at The Great Barn at Claymont Society outside of Charlestown, WV.
- Tuition does not include books that will be assigned as part of YTT reading assignments.
- Please note that once the program begins there are no refunds (expect for medical emergencies) or reassigning of monies into subsequent YTT programs or studio classes/workshop.
Machelle Lee, MA, CMT, E-RYT-200: Program Co-Director, Primary Faculty
Founder of Roots & River Yoga, Machelle is a certified and registered yoga instructor, massage therapist, and doula who has earned a master’s degree in mythology and depth psychology. Since 1991 Machelle has led therapeutic movement and hatha yoga classes and workshops, demonstrating the complementary intersection of yoga asana and ancient Five Element Chinese Meridian Theory as a form of self acu-pressure. With in-depth professional training with mentors such as Paul Grilley, Shiva Rea and Angela Farmer, Machelle weaves anatomy, modern psychology, neurobiology, physiology, and poetry through Yin Yoga and Vinyasa practices in a creative and grounded approach to self-development. Machelle has led thousands of students in yoga classes and workshops both domestically and abroad and believes that the yoga practice is personal and uniquely assessable to enhance the life of anyone. With compassion, humor, and the ability to keenly witness, Machelle is honored to guide students toward reaching their potential - personally and as yoga teachers.
Julie Skaarup, E-RYT 200/RYT 500: Program Co-Director, Primary Faculty
Julie Skaarup is an Ayurvedic Yoga Teacher with a passion for philosophy. She completed her 200hr YTT in 2009 with Sol Yoga, and her 500hr training with Kripalu School of Ayurveda in 2016 where she studied with Larissa Carlson Hall, Balarama Chandra Das, Dr. Rosy Mann, Dr. John Douilliard, Jonathan Foust (Sudhir), and many other bright and loving souls. Ayurveda has been both a field of study and a way of life for her since her first advanced Ayurvedic training with Dr. Rosy in 2013. She regularly teaches Yin Yoga, chair yoga, and advanced gentle practices. Julie designs her classes in accordance with seasons, helping her students to cultivate the sensitivity to observe the subtle nuances of the body's feedback. She encourages her students to take a very meditative approach during even the most intense portions of the practice, using the asana as a gateway to the deeper wisdom of yoga. Her background in theater, music, and creative writing informs her yoga teaching, inspiring her to make each class a work of art.
Specialized Guest Teacher List Coming Soon
Roots & River Yoga 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Application
All information provided in this application will be held in complete confidence by Machelle Lee and Julie Skaarup